Wednesday 21 October 2009

LETS SPEND T♚NIGHT ON T♚P OF THE W♚RLD

2 weeks ago, it was Leon's birthday so we were gonna have a party. It was also the same weekend that my bestfriend Jialing, who just graduated with first class honours (have I mentioned I'm mad proud?) , was coming home from London for good. She wanted to surprise all our friends with her homecoming so in order to convince more of our friends to come, we decided to declare it an early birthday for Daren and a farewell do for me as well. Daren didn't actually want to celebrate his birthday but then I decided since I wouldn't be around for it, I wanted to get him a cake after all. So that's how we turned out having a triple celebrations of sort :)



I was too lazy to cook, and I'm not a big fan of caterers (don't they give you a feeding-the-farm-pigs kind of feeling) in general so I decided to just get asian/singaporean food to go with the theme of a singapore homecoming. Ordered Otah, Ramly, Popiah, Chicken Wings and got the Satay Man to come down to the house to bbq satay :)

You Rong was the first to arrive around 7, but poor Jia had to wait in my room for almost two hours before most of our other friends arrived so she could come down and surprise them all at once. At least she has Sze for company I guess :)


Drinking Jenga


the boys.


Now there's a story to the balloons. When I went down to the balloon store to get a helium foil balloon, I saw they had lots of pictures of pretty balloon decor for parties, so I enquired on the cost, and basically it's about $199 and above for anything decent. Considering I was already spending a 4 digit number on the food & drinks, I decided to brave the balloon task on my own. D drove me all the way to a balloon supplier in tampiness to buy raw balloons and it was so far, he warned me not to give up halfway!


On the day of the party itself, I almost gave up. I remember thinking, wow, so the $199 is actually not for the balloons but the sweat that goes into blowing them up and putting them together. With D's help, I managed to get the whole thing up into an balloon arch though :)




I also ordered 40 litres of Hoegaarden and the tap to dispense it :) Our friend, Shen, nicknamed it "the mother of all hoegaarden taps" in his drunken stupor, and the name has stuck.




chow on drums and the birthday boy going for a float


jia's graduation/welcome-home cupcakes & soccer/newcastle-united cupcakes for leon.


daren's iphone themed cupcake and a picture of all 36 cupcakes :) aren't they just adorable?


the vips :) and even though it really wasn't my farewell, they started singing happy birthday and changed it to happy farewell to me. very funny and rather cute :)


the army sign-on boy being patriotic, shen wanted earphone to plug into his cupcakes, and daren with his named cupcake :)


somehow managed to convince leon & some others that the soccer ball decoration was actually a specially designed gobstopper candy :) took the tipsier ones up to 5 to 10 minutes ++ before they got scammed!


the ming & shen cousin show. (will upload the video soon! hilarious!) oh and then people started getting dunked.


40 liters of beer, countless shots and bottles of muscato later.......... (p/s- no idea what marc is doing around shen's underwear... and on my bed too!)


Neither do I have any idea why Leon is straddled on top of them... or why Marc is wearing the superman baby's bib..


AND STILL NO IDEA why Cheng is using the concussed Yourong as a chair, or why Rong has his thigh inside my MJ bag strap.......


So as you can see, 40 liters of beer, countless shots and bottles of muscato can have very different effects on people.


I also had this idea of buying art boards to make the 3 of them photo boards? So the night before the party, I sat down with my scissors, nails, ribbons, tags, markers and so on..... and came up with these. It was really late (and I had to wait till daren left to make them cos I wanted it to be a surprise for him as well) and by the second board, I got really haphazard and I think it shows it the workmanship :/




Some polaroids on the board... Yourong & Daren




and that's us :)


Anyway, I came online today and realized it's been three weeks since I've written a journal entry. I remember the creeping feeling that I had only a month left before my (extended) summer in sunny Singapore ends. Now, it seems like the time has just flown by and it's a matter of days before I leave. Mom's cooking my favourite korean dumplings & kimchi hot pot tonight so I can't wait :) Should make best use of my last few days here instead of lazing around at home/in bed/ watching tv all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment